We provide individualised care and work from a wellness model with most substance and behavioural addictions (and co-existing issues) as well as other related conditions.
Common Addictions We Treat
Common addictions that we treat include:
- Prescription drugs
- Heroin and other opiates
- Synthetic drugs
- Selected behavioural addictions, such as gambling
Common Related Issues We Treat
Common related issues that we treat include:
- Anxiety (including PTSD)
You may come to Gunnebah specifically for treatment regarding one of these related issues in your life. Alternatively, one of these issues may arise (and often does) as a factor to be treated in the course of addressing your specific addiction to a substance or behaviour. Read more about factors in addiction.
What We Do Not Treat
Unfortunately, we do not treat people with the following conditions:
- Serious unmanaged mental health issues
- Serious history of perpetrating violence
- Eating disorders
- Serious anger management issues
To find out more about how we treat these addiction and related conditions, take a look at Our Method.
Gunnebah’s Smoking Policy
Smoking is only only permitted in specific smoking areas at Gunnebah.
We strongly encourage guests to quit smoking whilst at Gunnebah as smoking has been proven to be detrimental to long term recovery.
People who are dependent on alcohol and other drugs have very high smoking rates and are also at particular risk of harm from smoking.
Most people are unaware that they are far more likely to die from a smoking-related disease than from their primary drug problem.
And contrary to popular belief, there is good evidence that quitting smoking:
- will actually improve the outcome of drug and alcohol treatments and increase long-term abstinence rates. (Read more…)
- is associated with reduced depression, anxiety and stress together with improved mood
- will improve your quality of life
Health Effects of Smoking:
- Eyes: Macular degeneration, cataracts
- Stomach: Cancer, Ulcers
- Hair: loss
- Pancreas: Cancer
- Skin: Ageing, wrinkles, wound infection
- Bladder/Kidney: Infection
- Brain: Stroke
- Women: Cervical Cancer, early menopause, irregular and painful periods
- Mouth and Pharynx: Cancer, gum disease
- Men: Erectile dysfunction
- Lungs: Cancer, COPD, pneumonia
- Arteries: Peripheral vascular disease
- Heart: Coronary artery disease
- Bones: Osteoporosis
My nine week stay at Gunnebah was life-changing. Trying to beat addiction in the outside world left me exhausted, isolated and depressed. Being at Gunnebah taught me that I could combat addiction through connecting with others and having a crazy amount of fun, all whilst being sober! ~ Felix M.