Prior to Entry
- General assessment by one of our Therapy Team to assess your needs and the suitability of our program.
- Medical questionnaire and assessment.
- Identification of any detox needs and relevant process.
- Nicotine replacement arranged with your GP (if you are a smoker and want to take advantage of this opportunity to quit). For rationale, see Gunnebah’s smoking policy. There are plenty of useful resources and support services to help you get started with quitting smoking before you arrive at Gunnebah.
- Medical consultation with our Medical Director or nurse to confirm your health.
- Entry interview with one of our Therapy Team to get a sense of your immediate situation and motivation.
- Review of Terms and Conditions of Stay in the Admission Form.
- Orientation to the facilities and program.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, not all activities are available at this time. When enquiring, please ask staff for any clarification you may require.
Many days will follow a structure similar to the following (with occasional changes to suit specific activities). A healthy daily routine is one of the essential habits that you will develop at Gunnebah and hopefully continue after your time with us. (Read more about our method).
- Mornings generally begin with some kind of exercise, such as yoga, group fitness, boxercise. We also have a well-equipped gym, a swimming pool and a beautiful hill walk for times you choose to do your own exercise.
- A morning group checkin process is a key part of the therapy program, helping bond the group, resolve issues, and support guests to share their feelings in ways that are helpful for their recovery.
- Every day except Sunday there is a group therapy program, usually focussed on a specific recovery topic and part of Gunnebah’s structured group recovery program.
- Guests are all entitled to two individual therapy sessions each week but can see therapists more when required. Guests sometimes choose to take advantage of family therapy opportunities whilst here.
- Medical care by our doctor is available twice a week or as required.
- Each week we will go off-site for interesting, exciting or fun activities. Gunnebah is perfectly located for accessing an incredible range of activities, from world heritage national parks to acclaimed art galleries to stunning beaches. Read more about our location.
- Creativity and mindfulness come together with a regular program with clay, for those who are interested.
- Each evening, a group session which we call Gratitude and Goals helps guests to build healthy daily habits of making time for personal reflection, improving personal wellbeing through developing an attitude of gratitude, and setting achievable daily goals.
- Sundays are available for friends and family to come as visitors. They are very welcome for lunch.
Take a look at an example activities timetable for a week
Activities you may experience include (but are not limited to):
- Learning to surf
- Sea kayaking with dolphins
- Group fitness
- High ropes adventure
- Team building
- Day trips to local attractions
- National park tours
- Stand up paddleboarding
- Tribal drumming
- Swimming pool
- Ping Pong
- Lawn bowls
- Tenpin bowling
And much more. Activities change depending on the season and weather.
Rehab is not the end of the road, it’s the beginning. We provide a program of encouragement and support to assist your successful transition back into the world beyond Gunnebah and to help you to continue to grow with the changes you have begun here. This includes:
- Referral/introduction to local support groups, networks and services
- We encourage past guests to come back for lunch and a catchup if they are in the area.
I nearly didn’t choose Gunnebah because it had the word “fun” on the website, as though the guilt of my addiction and perceived “weakness” meant I needed to be punished in some way. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Since coming here, I have had life breathed back into me. I’ve developed sober relationships and experienced joy and laughter in ways, now sober, that I had only thought were possible with substance use. Words cannot explain how truly grateful I am to all the staff at Gunnebah for saving my life and helping me to discover a new one full of real purpose and hope again. ~ Berny A.