Prior to Entry
- General assessment by one of our Therapy Team to assess your needs and the suitability of our program.
- Medical questionnaire and assessment.
- Identification of any detox needs and relevant process.
- Nicotine replacement arranged with your GP (if you are a smoker and want to take advantage of this opportunity to quit). For rationale, see Gunnebah’s smoking policy
- Medical consultation with our Medical Director or nurse to confirm your health.
- Entry interview with one of our Therapy Team to get a sense of your immediate situation and motivation.
- Review of Terms and Conditions of Stay in the Admission Form.
- Orientation to the facilities and program.
Many days will follow a structure similar to the following (with occasional changes to suit specific activities). A healthy daily routine is one of the essential habits that you will develop at Gunnebah and hopefully continue after your time with us. (Read more about our method).
Several times a week we will be off-site for interesting, fun or exciting activities. Gunnebah is perfectly located for accessing an incredible range of activities, from world heritage national parks to acclaimed art galleries to stunning beaches. Read more about our location.
Sundays are available for friends and family to visit.
|Example Daily Schedule|
|7.00am||yoga – meditation with qualified instructor|
|8.45am||Checkin - Group sharing|
|9.00am||Group activity - often with a health or fun focus. Perhaps offsite. See the activities list below for examples.|
|12.30pm||Some days there are medicals or our weekly community meeting.|
|1.00pm||Lunch - simple, delicious, nutritious|
|1.30pm||Time for individual therapy. Guests will receive at least 2 sessions a week each, more if needed.|
|2.30pm||Group Therapy - workshops on topics and how they relate to addiction - such as relationships, communication skills, addiction and your brain, how to create happiness in your life, and more|
|4.30pm||Time for individual therapy. Guests will receive at least 2 sessions a week each, more if needed.|
|5.45pm||Gratitude and Goals - group sharing|
|6.00pm||Dinner - simple, delicious, nutritious|
|7.00pm||Relaxation time, personal time. Saturday night is usually an optional AA or NA meeting onsite.|
Medical care by our doctor is available twice a week or as required.
Activities you may experience include (but are not limited to):
- Learning to surf
- Sea kayaking with dolphins
- Group fitness
- Horse riding
- High ropes adventure
- Team building
- Day trips to local attractions
- National park tours
- Stand up paddleboarding
- Tribal drumming
- Swimming pool
- Ping Pong
- Lawn bowls
- Tenpin bowling
- Indoor rock climbing
And much more. Activities change depending on the season and weather.
Rehab is not the end of the road, it’s the beginning. We provide a program of encouragement and support to assist your successful transition back into the world beyond Gunnebah and to help you to continue to grow with the changes you have begun here. This includes:
- Referral/introduction to local support groups, networks and services
- Individual follow-up to check-in on your progress
- We encourage past guests to come back for lunch and a catchup if they are in the area.
I nearly didn’t choose Gunnebah because it had the word “fun” on the website, as though the guilt of my addiction and perceived “weakness” meant I needed to be punished in some way. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Since coming here, I have had life breathed back into me. I’ve developed sober relationships and experienced joy and laughter in ways, now sober, that I had only thought were possible with substance use. Words cannot explain how truly grateful I am to all the staff at Gunnebah for saving my life and helping me to discover a new one full of real purpose and hope again. ~ Berny A.