Gunnebah is proud to have assisted our Military Veterans since 2018.
We have established a specialised Veterans program that integrates seamlessly with our tested addiction treatment program and a comprehensive post-discharge support program.
Our Veterans program is designed in strict compliance with DVA requirements, ensuring that Veterans receive the highest quality care and support available.
Gold or White card holders can apply for a fully funded residential stay at Gunnebah.
Please note that all admissions are subject to prior approval by the Department of Veteran Affairs Health Approvals Board.
Process for Admission
- We do a cost and obligation free assessment over the phone to make sure we are the right place for your needs.
- Assuming the assessment is successful, we then assist you to obtain the approval from the DVA for your treatment.
- We can then book you in, subject to receiving DVA approval. This usually takes 7 – 14 days.
- A Doctor or Psychiatrist referral to Gunnebah is required prior to seeking approval from the DVA.
- National Police Checks are done on all Guests (and staff) to ensure Gunnebah remains a safe facility. Do not be concerned about minor or old matters. Many people struggling with addiction have had some legal issues. The check is to ensure that Gunnebah is a safe place for you and for our Guests and Staff. Please be aware that we do not admit guests with a history of perpetrating serious sexual or physical violence.
- Should it assist you, we are happy to work with your advocacy team.
Why Gunnebah stands out for Veterans
- Dedicated Expertise: Our diverse team of qualified professionals brings a wealth of experience in addiction recovery and an understanding of the specific challenges encountered by Veterans.
- Individual bedrooms.
- Intimate Setting: Gunnebah ensures a serene environment with limited occupancy, enabling a personalised and attentive experience.
- Tailored Therapeutic Program: We provide a variety of processes, including 1 on 1 counselling as well as group therapy and learning sessions, each offering a range of unique benefits. With your therapist, your participation (or non-participation) in any of these elements can be structured to best meet your recovery needs.
- Specialised Support: We recognise the potential PTSD-related challenges that veterans may face and integrate that into our therapeutic approach. Our therapists are trained in a range of relevant modalities. and interventions are tailored to addressing symptoms of PTSD.
- Seamless DVA Application Assistance: we aim to make it as easy as possible for veterans to access the benefits and support they are entitled to.
Continuity of Care
In addition to our comprehensive treatment program, we are committed to providing veterans with a holistic approach to recovery. At Gunnebah, we recognize that the journey to recovery and wellness doesn’t end with the completion of our residential program. To ensure that you continue to thrive in your transition back into their daily life, we offer an extensive aftercare program, designed to extend the progress made during your stay at our facility.
Our aftercare program is tailored to meet the unique needs and challenges of each veteran. We understand that the therapeutic relationship established during your time at Gunnebah is a valuable asset, and we prioritise continuity by offering one-on-one therapy sessions with the same therapist with whom you’ve built trust and rapport.
We also offer regular post-discharge follow-ups
Furthermore, we facilitate post-discharge group sessions (DVA Group Day Program) exclusively for Gunnebah Guests. These sessions, which last for two hours each, provide a safe and supportive environment for you to share their experiences, challenges, and successes with others who understand your journey. Our qualified therapists lead these meetings to ensure that participants receive the best guidance and support.
Additionally, our commitment to the long-term success of our clients is evident in our periodic one on one follow-up sessions. After a client’s departure from our program, we schedule check-ins to monitor their progress and observe outcomes. These follow-ups are an essential part of our aftercare program, offering veterans the reassurance that we are with them every step of the way, even after completion of residential treatment.
At Gunnebah Addiction Retreat, we believe that recovery is an ongoing process, and our aftercare program reflects this. We are dedicated to supporting you, as a veteran, in your transition back into daily life and ensuring that the positive changes initiated during your stay with us continue to grow well into the future. Our aftercare program is our commitment to your long-term well-being and success.